Rescue is an unincorporated community in El Dorado County, California. It is located 3.5 miles (5.6 km) north-northwest of Shingle Springs, Rescue consists of primarily farmland and ranches with a few residential neighborhoods and businesses. Downtown Rescue is quite small, with only a post office, fire station, two churches, a restaurant and a community center to distinguish it from the more rural areas. The restaurant operates in the former quarters of a longtime business known as the Rescue Store which also sold gasoline. The zip code is 95672, and Rescue is located in area code 530. Rescue lies at an elevation of 1214 feet (370 m). The town of Rescue was established in 1895. The story goes that Andrew Hare was "rescued" from poverty by his mining, and named the town Rescue. The town was once a stop on the Pony Express trail between Placerville and Folsom. The post office was established in 1895. Rescue is served by the Rescue Union School District at the primary and middle school level. At the high school level, it is served by the El Dorado Union High School District, mainly at the Ponderosa High School campus.
The town of Rescue, California was officially recognized June 12, 1895 with the establishment of the post office headed by the first postmaster, Dr. Merritt Aquila Hunter. Prior to this time, Rescue had been an area of intense gold mining activity with business supporting the mining interests. Buildings of the past included the Kelly Creek Store, the Kelly Creek Slaughter house, cabins and numerous mining shacks. Rescue was located on the Old Coloma Road between Coloma and Sacramento, a major thoroughfare during gold rush times. A short distance to the North of town was a brick factory that was destroyed by fire before establishment of the Post Office. Ruins of the brick factory are visible today.